See below for some helpful resources related to the Living Building Challenge and the Design Competition.
About the Living Building Challenge & our Partners
- International Living Future Institute
- Living Building Challenge Standard 2.1
- Living Building Challenge Collaborative Chicago Facebook Page
- LBCC Chicago has partnered with Biomimicry Chicago
About the Near West Side Design Competition
Future Development Plans
A map of the below future development plans is available here.
- United Center Retail Development – Planned $75 million retail development consisting of 260,000 square feet of restaurants, bars, a team store, and event space.
- Malcolm X College – Planned $251 million dollar campus consisting of two buildings at a total of 500,000 square feet. The new campus will focus on healthcare. The Chicago High School for the Arts will move into the old Malcolm X building in 2015.
- Cook County Hospital Site – Debate continues on whether or not to restore what remains of the historic Cook County Hospital, but there remains great opportunity and available real estate for future development.
- CTA Circle Line – The Chicago Transit Authority has preliminary development plans for a “Circle” line, with a stop planned for the United Center. Project teams may choose to include this stop on the project site, but it is not required.
Community Organizations & Information
- West Haven Quality of Life Plan – 2007
- West Haven MetroEdge 2010 Retail Study
- Reconnecting Neighborhoods: Near West Side Transportation Study
- Near West Side Community Development Corporation
- Near West Side Chamber of Commerce
- City of Chicago United Center Neighborhood Website
- City of Chicago Near West Side Plan
- Malcolm X College
- United Center
- John J. Stroger, Cook County Hospital
- Rush University Medical Center
Designated Chicago Landmarks in the Near West Side
- First Baptist Congregational Church
- Groesbeck House
- Hull House
- Jackson Boulevard District and Extension
- Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church
- St. Ignatius College Prep Building
- Union Station
- United Center